JUSTICE DIVISION – Attendance Centre Counselor – NRAC Relief Staff
The John Howard Society of Niagara is searching for relief employees who will be scheduled for work on a casual or intermittent basis.
This position is responsible for delivering the Non-Residential Attendance Centre program across the Niagara Region. NRAC services high-risk youth ages 12-17 involved with the criminal justice system who have been referred to the program by the court or by a probation officer. This position is responsible for providing direct services; including client supervision, communication with families and the community, probation and court, as well as the development, implementation and maintenance of a cognitive behavioral curriculum.
The Attendance Centre Counselor works with probation officers to monitor and supervise the terms of a court order. This position reports directly to the Supervisor – Justice Services.
- Successful completion of post secondary studies, either a degree or a diploma, or equivalencies
- 3 – 5 years related experience working with high-risk youth, with a demonstrated ability to effectively engage and motivate them
- Experience with cognitive-based theories and how they relate to youth program development
- A demonstrated knowledge with regard to the criminal justice system and relevant legislation
- Demonstrated experience with individual/group counseling and facilitation skills
- A demonstrated ability to implement cognitive-based programs on an individual and group basis
- Ability to work a range of shifts, including afternoons and evenings
- A valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle with a satisfactory driving record and automobile insurance of at least one million dollars
- A satisfactory criminal reference check in accordance with the John Howard Society of Niagara’s policy
Annual Salary Range: $39,800 to $45,300
If you are interested in applying for this position, apply in writing, relating your experience and skills to the above specifications to:
Director of Human Resources